Have you completed a Building Blocks workshop and want to continue growing your drafting and pattern development skills?
Over a weekend, learn more about shape, fit, pattern adjustment and manipulation in the Skirt Pattern Development workshop. You’ll discover how to use the skirt block you created in the Building Blocks workshop to create completely different styles of skirt garments. Have fun with design lines, yokes or pleats – let your creativity guide you! You will then develop your pattern based on the style of your choice and sew a gorgeous skirt that fits beautifully.
For these workshops, we’ll once again be teaming up with pattern drafting expert Anette of Sewing Inspirations Yallingup who will be coming to Perth to share her expert knowledge with our students.
$360 per person (inc GST) including two 5 hour classes run over one weekend (Saturday-Sunday 12 noon – 5pm).
What You’ll Learn
- Theoretical knowledge about pattern drafting
- Consideration of fabric choice vs design
- Dart manipulation
- Yokes, pleats and facings
- How to develop a skirt block into a final pattern ready to use for sewing
- Consideration of grainlines and balance points
- Addition of hem and seam allowances
- Cut and sew a toile and make adjustments to fit
- Sew a skirt garment from your pattern – ready for wearing!
- 10 hours tuition in a group of no more than 8 students
- Tools and equipment to share
- Paper for drafting
- Calico for sewing toiles
You will need to bring/supply:
- Your sewing machine
- A french curve ruler
- Drafting or Quilting rulers (whatever you have). If you’re looking to purchase, Anette will have a few available on the day.
- Your skirt block and toile you created in the Building Blocks workshop
- Pins, bobbins, dressmaking shears, thread, measuring tape etc.
- Fabric to make your skirt garment. The amount required depends on the style you choose. We recommend 2 metres to be safe, more if using directional fabric.
- Please wear fitted clothing or undergarments that you feel comfortable wearing in front of the group. For example, a well-fitting bra and singlet and leggings that are fitted but not so tight they create dents.
Skill level required:
This course is designed for confident beginner to advanced sewers who have completed the Building Blocks Skirt Workshop. Participation assumes all the knowledge and skills learned in the first workshop and you will need to bring with you the pattern block you created in that workshop. You need to be confident in garment construction and the use of your machine.
Conference Room, St Peter & Emmaus Church, 56 Green Street, Joondanna, Perth
To find out first when more classes become available, please subscribe to our email newsletter as that will be the first place we announce any new classes. We hope to see you soon!