Designed for the novice sewist, the Sew from Scratch 6 week beginners course helps participants to improve their confidence through a series of fun sewing projects. Start with getting to know your machine and move through to using patterns and basic garment construction, you will practice a variety of skills and learn valuable knowledge to help you take on new projects with confidence.
You will complete four projects throughout the course and will also be provided with comprehensive information on essentials such as fabric, thread, stabilisers, using patterns, fastenings, and much more.
$395 per person (inc GST)
This course includes weekly classes for 6 weeks in a small group of 8 participants.
- 15 hours of sewing tuition in a group of 8 students
- Weekly class notes including step by step instructions and all the insider tips and tricks
- Fabric and interfacing supplies to complete the week 1 project
- Your own copy of a printed pattern for the garment project (choice made by the group from a selection)
- Tracing vilene (1m) for preparing garment project
- Tea, coffee and biscuits to keep you going!
You will need to bring/supply:
- Your sewing machine (If you don’t have a sewing machine, we have some available for hire at a cost of $10 per lesson)
- Materials such as fabric, zips and elastic for the other projects (estimated cost of materials is $50-80). Details of these will be provided after booking.
- Pins, bobbins, dressmaking shears, thread etc.
Skill level required:
This course is designed for novice sewers. If you haven’t sewn before or have been sewing for a little while and would like to gain more confidence in your skills and learn a host of useful information then this is the course for you!
Sew for Life Studio, Unit 3/16 Main Street, Osborne Park, Perth
If you don’t have a sewing machine:
While we highly recommend that you learn to sew on the machine that you plan to continue sewing on, we do have some studio machines available for hire at a cost of $10 per lesson.
If you’re looking to buy a new machine, we really recommend going to see the ladies at the Janome Sewing Centres in Balcatta or Joondalup. They have the expert knowledge to guide you and if you mention you’re a Sew for Life student, they’ll make sure you get the best deal and throw in a freebie gift! If you’d like any more specific information on exactly what you should be looking for in a machine, don’t hesitate to send a message through the Contact page. I’m more than happy to give you my personal recommendations on the features you need for a great machine to get you started.