In this dressmaking workshop, learn to Bias Like A Boss and get a beautifully professional finish on your garments every time.
What will you will learn?
- How to measure yourself accurately and choose a size
- How to decipher pattern markings
- Efficient cutting techniques
- How to make bias tape – three methods
- How to prepare and press bias tape
- Four methods of applying bias tape
- How to understitch
- How to sew darts
- How to sew French seams
- Hemming your tank
$195 per person (inc GST)
- A copy of the Megan Nielsen Eucalypt Tank and Dress printed pattern (sizes 0-20) or Megan Nielsen Curve Eucalypt Tank and Dress digital pattern (sizes 14-30).
- 5 hours of sewing instruction
- Comprehensive class notes including all the tips and tricks you need for making bias tape like a boss!
You will need to bring/supply:
- Light to medium weight fabrics such as cotton, linen, lawn, or chambray. Fabric requirements range from 1.0 -1.7m and depend on your size and the width of the fabric. Click for Eucalypt Tank (sizes 0-20) or Eucalypt Curve Tank (sizes 14-30) sizing and fabric requirements. We will make View A of this pattern in the class. Extra fabric may be needed to match plaids, stripes, or one-way print designs.
- 1 x fat quarter (50x50cm) matching or coordinating fabric to make bias tape. If you don’t have fat quarters, just bring along an extra 1/2m of fabric. We recommend a plain cotton fabric that coordinates with your tank fabric.
- Your sewing machine
- Matching thread
- Basic sewing tools including pins, fabric shears, (rotary cutter if you have one), bobbins, seam ripper etc.
This workshop is recommended for sewists with at least beginner sewing skills. For example those who have either completed the Sew from Scratch Beginners course or who are confident to use their machine and have sewn at least half a dozen basic projects. Alternatively you may have been sewing for a while but have been avoiding bias binding! You will learn new techniques in this class to take you to a whole new level of sewing.