Have you ever wanted to draft your own patterns from scratch? If so, then you need a set of pattern blocks to get you started.
Over one weekend you’ll learn the theoretical and practical skills of pattern drafting all while creating either a skirt, pant or bodice pattern block to fit your body. Once drafted, you can use this block to slash and adjust into a range of your own sewing patterns – your imagination is your only limit.
For these workshops, we’ll be teaming up with pattern drafting expert Anette of Sewing Inspirations Yallingup who will be coming to Perth to teach you how to accurately measure your own body, use these measurements to draft pattern blocks designed specifically for your body shape and then make adjustments to fit.
Workshops for the skirt block only will be offered in 2020. See dates below for workshops currently available for booking.
$360 per person (inc GST) including two 5 hour classes run over one weekend (Saturday-Sunday 12 noon – 5pm).
What You’ll Learn
- Theoretical knowledge about pattern drafting
- How to draft either a skirt, pant or bodice block from scratch (NOTE: only the block specified for the workshop will be taught so that everyone will be drafting the same block)
- How to trace, cut and construct a toile ready for fitting
- Fitting the toile to your body
- How to transfer pattern adjustments back to your block pieces
- 10 hours tuition in a group of no more than 8 students
- Tools and equipment to share
- Paper for drafting
- Calico for sewing toiles
- Pattern card for tracing your final block pieces
- Tea, coffee and biscuits to keep you going!
You will need to bring/supply:
- Your sewing machine
- A french curve ruler
- Quilting rulers (whatever you have), otherwise if you’re looking to purchase, we recommend a 23″ x 6.5″ ruler
- Pins, bobbins, dressmaking shears, thread, measuring tape etc.
- Please wear fitted clothing or undergarments that you feel comfortable wearing in front of the group. For the bodice, a well-fitting bra and singlet, for the pants/skirt, leggings that are fitted but not so tight they create dents.
Skill level required:
This course is designed for confident beginner to advanced sewers. You need to be confident in garment construction and the use of your machine.
Conference Room, St Peter & Emmaus Church, 56 Green Street, Joondanna, Perth
Given the current situation with COVID-19, we are unsure if Term 2 classes will need to be delayed. If that is the case, all Term 2 bookings will be transferred to Term 3 unless you choose to cancel. If you have any questions at all, please don’t hesitate to get in touch via the Contact Page.