Have you ever wanted to draft your own patterns from scratch? If so, then you need a set of pattern blocks to get you started.
Over one weekend you’ll learn the theoretical and practical skills of pattern drafting all while creating either a skirt, pant or bodice pattern block to fit your body. Once drafted, you can use this block to slash and adjust into a range of your own sewing patterns – your imagination is your only limit.
For these workshops, we’ll be teaming up with pattern drafting expert Anette of Sewing Inspirations Yallingup who will be coming to Perth to teach you how to accurately measure your own body, use these measurements to draft pattern blocks designed specifically for your body shape and then make adjustments to fit.
Workshops for either skirt, pant and bodice blocks will be offered throughout 2018.
From $360 per person (inc GST). Class format and duration will vary depending on the block. The skirt drafting workshop includes two 5 hour classes run over one weekend (Saturday-Sunday 12 noon – 5pm).
What You’ll Learn
- Theoretical knowledge about pattern drafting
- How to draft either a skirt, pant or bodice block from scratch (NOTE: only the block specified for the workshop will be taught so that everyone will be drafting the same block)
- How to trace, cut and construct a toile ready for fitting
- Fitting the toile to your body
- How to transfer pattern adjustments back to your block pieces
- 10 hours tuition in a group of no more than 8 students
- Tools and equipment to share
- Paper for drafting
- Calico for sewing toiles
- Pattern card for tracing your final block pieces
- Tea, coffee and biscuits to keep you going!
You will need to bring/supply:
- Your sewing machine
- A french curve ruler
- Quilting rulers (whatever you have), otherwise if you’re looking to purchase, we recommend a 23″ x 6.5″ ruler
- Pins, bobbins, dressmaking shears, thread, measuring tape etc.
- Please wear fitted clothing or undergarments that you feel comfortable wearing in front of the group. For the bodice, a well-fitting bra and singlet, for the pants/skirt, leggings that are fitted but not so tight they create dents.
Skill level required:
This course is designed for confident beginner to advanced sewers. You need to be confident in garment construction and the use of your machine.
Sew for Life Studio, Unit 3/16 Main Street, Osborne Park, Perth
Booking Terms & Conditions:
1) Course fees are required to be paid on booking to secure your place.
2) Should you choose to pay by direct deposit, note that your place is not secured until full payment is received. Your invoice is due 7 days from the date of invoice or 14 days prior to course commencement, whichever is sooner. Should you require a payment plan, please contact us to make arrangements.
3) If the course is cancelled by Sew for Life (i.e. minimum course numbers not reached) you may choose to receive either a full 100% refund, or transfer payment to a later course.
4) If you cancel within the four weeks prior to course commencement or are unable to attend on the day, for any reason, there will be no refunds or transfers issued.
There are no current dates available for this course. If you’d like to stay in touch to find out when it is offered again, please sign up for our email newsletter where we announce all new course dates and information first.